Coolant Light 2010 BMW 328I

2010 BMW 328iI have a 2010 BMW 328i 2 door coup with around 95,000 miles.. about a week ago the coolant light came on and then a couple days later my car started stalling a little bit nearly every time I would accelerate and get right around 40 mps. it doesn’t make any noise or anything, but it just feels like it doesn’t want to go and kind of feels jerky or jumpy for a few seconds. I don’t know if there is any correlation between the coolant light and this happening or not, but I’d greatly appreciate any help I can get (I don’t know the first thing about stuff like this and i don’t currently have a mechanic I necessarily trust either).
Thank You!

RESPONSE

If the coolant light came on, it should be important to you to check the coolant level. If the coolant level is extremely low, severe engine damage may occur.

If the coolant level is low there is most likely a leak somewhere in the cooling system. The leak should be repaired as soon as possible. In the meantime keep the coolant level topped off even if you have to check the level daily. This will help keep from causing additional damage.

Now as far as the stalling, it may be related. If the coolant level is low the temperature sensor will not read correctly as there is no coolant coming in contact with it. This may cause the engines computer to function in an odd way. Also, if you drove the car and it overheated, damage may have already taken place. The most common damage caused by overheating would be a blown head gasket.

For now lets hope the engine was not overheated. Start with checking the coolant level and topping it off. Then drive the car and see how it functions. Of course if the check engine light is on, you will want to pull the codes and see what hey are. Post any codes found below in the comments.

A Common Code for this issue would be:

BMW Code P2559 – Engine Coolant Level Sensor/Switch Circuit High

Possible Causes:

• Sensor or solenoid faulty
  • Connector terminal contact is damaged or corroded
  • Wire harness – Check harness for correct voltage, open, short to ground or short to voltage
  • Update control unit software – Check for the latest control unit update
  • Powertrain or Engine Control Module faulty
  • Cooling system – Check low coolant level, thermostat or radiator fan