Skid Plate 1997 Jeep Wrangler

1997 Jeep WranglerI have removed the skid plate on my 1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2.5 l 4 cylinder 5 speed manual many times without issue. This time when I went to take it off the transmission wants to come down with it. As far as I know there is not a top transmission mount? what is letting it come down?

RESPONSE

There is no top transmission mounts, you are correct about that. There are two engine mounts and one transmission mount. It is normal for the transmission to want to lower. You should place something under it to support it when removing the skid plate.

skid plate 1997 Jeep Wrangler

TRANSFER CASE SKID PLATE

The transmission and transfer case crossmember is integrated with the transfer case skid plate.

REMOVAL

WARNING: THE TRANSFER CASE AND TRANSMISSION ARE SUPPORTED BY THE TRANSFER CASE SKID PLATE. BEFORE REMOVING THE TRANSFER CASE SKID PLATE, ENSURE THAT THE TRANSMISSION IS PROPERLY SUPPORTED.

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  2. Place a support under the transmission.
  3. Remove the nuts attaching the transmission mount to the skid plate
  4. Remove the bolts attaching the skid plate to the frame
  5. Separate the skid plate from the vehicle.

INSTALLATION

1. Position the skid plate on the vehicle.
  2. Install the bolts attaching the skid plate to the frame. Tighten the bolts to 74 N·m ( 55 ft. lbs.) torque.
  3. Install the nuts attaching the transmission mount to the skid plate. Tighten the nuts to 28 N·m ( 21 ft. lbs.) torque.
  4. Remove the support under the transmission.
  5. Remove the support from under the vehicle and lower the vehicle.

2 thoughts on “Skid Plate 1997 Jeep Wrangler”

1. I do not understand what you mean with:Tighten the bolts to 74 N·m ( 55 ft. lbs.) torque.or 28 N·m ( 21 ft. lbs.) torque.
    What is N m?! actually.

2. N.M. stands for Newton Metre, If your torque wrench shows foot pounds(ft. lbs.) then focus on that alone.

The newton metre (also newton-metre, symbol N m or N·m) is a unit of torque (also called “moment”) in the SI system. One newton metre is equal to the torque resulting from a force of one newton applied perpendicularly to the end of a moment arm that is one metre long.

Source: Wikipedia

Comments are closed.