Fuel Line 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass 3.8L v6

1984 Oldsmobile CutlassI was attempting to fix a leaking fuel line on a friends car but when i got under it and actually saw the line itself it was very clear that the whole line needs replacing. My question is can i use a nylon or vinyl fuel line to replace the current steel one? If so is there a kit you would recommend? I am unsure about what kind of fittings it would take to tie into the tank and the pump(which is on the block) or if i would need to actually pull the tank to accomplish this. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you very much.

RESPONSE

The fuel line from the tank to the pump is a suction line and does not under go a lot of pressure. You could use rubber FUEL line and run it from the tank all the way to the fuel pump. Or you could use a mixture of metal line and rubber line. Use 2 hose clamps to attach the rubber fuel line to the metal line. It may be necessary to drop the tank to get to a usable metal line. No kit needed. Just purchase enough hose clamps and fuel line to do the job.

Rubber Fuel Line 1/4 inch. for under $20

Fuel Line Hose Clamps

Removal of Fuel Tank

• Disconnect the negative (-) battery cable.
  • Drain tank. WARNING 
    Have a carbon dioxide fire extinguisher near the work area.
  • Use a hand-operated siphon pump, and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for its use. As the fuel tank has a restrictor in the filler neck, connect the drain hose to the main fuel pipe at the fuel pump or at the tank gauge unit. Drain the fuel.
  • Reconnect any removed hoses, lines and cap.
  • Disconnect tank unit wire from connector in rear compartment.
  • Remove the ground wire retaining screw from the underbody.
  • Disconnect the hoses from the tank unit.
  • Support the fuel tank with a suitable jack and disconnect the two fuel tank retaining straps.
  • Remove the tank from the vehicle.To install:
  • On California emissions equipped vehicles, center the fuel filler pipe in the opening as required. Always replace the O-ring when the tank unit has been removed.
  • Support the tank with a suitable jack and position the tank into the vehicle.
  • Connect the fuel hoses and electrical connectors before installing the tank straps.
  • Install the tank strap bolt and nut to 96 inch lbs. (11 Nm) and the bolt-to-body to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).
  • Connect the negative battery cable, refill the tank, start the engine and check for leaks.