2000 Pontiac Grand Am

Pontiac Grand AmMy 2000 Pontiac Grand Am will run well, no check engine lights,  etc. It will suddenly just shut off. When you pull over and put it in park wait a few minutes will start back up. Maybe runs a mile maybe another day. It does not spit and sputter, no warning at all. I have replaced the ignition module, alternator, serpentine belt, plugs, and fuel filter, also battery and fuel pump relay. When it shuts off if you try to restart it too soon it sounds like no fuel, but when I turn the key on I hear the fuel pump come on. I’m losing my mind. I got no idea what else to check. This is my daughters car. It has left her stranded several times in the last 2 weeks. Any ideas?

RESPONSE

When it will not start you will need to determine what it is not getting.

• Spark
  • Fuel – Fuel pressure and Fuel Injector Pulse

We know the timing is good because it does run well when it starts so no need to check that. May be as simple as a loose connection. A quick test for spark would be to spray starting fluid in the air filter and if it starts off of that you know it has spark. Now you can concentrate on the fuel system. You may follow the No Start Diagnostic Chart or try the most common failure part, the fuel pressure regulator.

Keywords: