Differential 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4

2005 Chevy SilveradoI have a 2005 Chevy 2500HD 4X4 that the rear differential is going bad in. It has a 6.0 gas engine with the stock auto transmission and transfer case. I have found a 2006 Chevy 2500HD with the Duramax engine and Allison auto trans and stock transfer case. My question is will the rear end from the 2006 pickup fit my 2005?

RESPONSE

Yes.

If you are buying this replacement differential from a junkyard you may want to inspect it since it is used.

Differential Inspection

• Check the pinion gear shaft for unusual wear.
  • Check the pinion and the side gear teeth for wear, cracks, scoring and spalling.
  • Look at the thrust washers for wear.
  • Check the fit of the side gears in the differential case and on the axle shafts.
  • Check the differential case for cracks and scoring and replace all of the worn parts as necessary.

differential

Bearings Inspection

Carefully and thoroughly inspect all drive unit parts before assembly. Thorough inspection of the drive parts for wear or stress with subsequent replacement of worn parts eliminates costly drive component repair after assembly.

Important The differential bearings and the bearing cups are matched sets. Replace both the bearing and the cup when either part requires replacement.

• Lubricate the bearings with axle lubricant. Inspect the bearings for smooth rotation.
  • Look at the bearing rollers for wear.
  • Inspect the bearing cups for wear, cracks, brinelling, and scoring.