When to get tune up on my 2003 Cadillac Escalade with a 5.3L engine. I have had this car for a while now. It seems to run OK but my mechanic seems to think I should get a tune up. It has 213,000 miles on it.
According tot he manufacturers maintenance schedule the engine tune up(spark plugs) should be performed at 100,000 miles. Check any maintenance repair records you might have to see when the last time it was done. No reason to spend time and money if you don’t need to.
Maintenance Schedule Highlights:
- The engines air and fuel filter should be replaced every 30,000 miles.
- Transmission fluid replaced every 50,000 miles.
- Transmission fluid and filter along with the engine spark plugs every 100,000 miles.
How often do I need an engine tune up?
Car and truck engines today are equipped from the factory with double platinum spark plugs. These specific double platinum spark plugs will last up to 100,000 miles or longer. Much different from years past when a set of spark plugs were needed almost yearly.
Engine tune up rule of thumb
- Carburetor engine – tune up yearly
- OBD I Throttle Body Fuel injection – every two years
- OBD II (1996 – 2004) Fuel Injection – every 80-100,000 miles
- CAN 2005 – present Fuel Injection – every 100,000 miles
Transmission tune up rule of thumb
- Pre-synthetic transmission fluid (Dextron/Mercon) – every 30,000 miles
- Synthetic transmission fluid – every 80,000 miles
- Hasn’t been changed and has over 120,000 miles – DO NOT CHANGE FLUID, it will slip with in the first 200 miles.