Car starts but then sputters (shakes ) and dies. Will restart.
Engine stalls after starting
- Check for a restriction in the fuel return line or the return line check valve and repair as necessary.
- Check the glow plug operation for turning the glow plugs off too soon and repair as necessary.
- Check for incorrect injection pump timing and reset to specification.
- Test the engine fuel pump and replace if the output is below specification.
- Check for contaminated or incorrect fuel. Completely flush the fuel system and replace with fresh fuel.
- Test the engine’s compression for low compression. If below specification, mechanical repairs are necessary to repair.
- Check for air in the fuel. Check fuel tank fuel and fill as needed.
- Check for a failed injection pump. Replace the pump, making sure to properly set the pump timing.