The catalytic converter is running red hot. The spark plugs, wires and coils have been replaced and the converter is brand new. I feel this problem started when had muffler pipe replaced. Could it be the muffler causing this? or what else could be causing…
1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. After driving awhile, usually after around 10 miles, if I am stopped at a red traffic light idling, the car sputters to a stop. And then when I immediately try to start the car, the dash lights come on but there is no cranking whatsoever. I wait at the stop light about 3 minutes and then try to start the car again, it strongly cranks right up and starts. Then to keep car running at traffic light stops, I put the car in park and feed it a little gas until light turns green. I HAVE A THEORY! There is a wire (or wires) going to the spark plugs and the wire has lost part of its plastic covering insulation. That wire is intermittently touching metal in the car and grounding out or shorting out so that the plugs are not getting electric current. Please help.
Your theory is a great place to start. Wrap some electrical tape around the exposed wiring and test it out. It will not hurt to try. If that helps, Replace the spark plug wires. Let me know how it tests out.