How much would it cost in total to replace the shift cable?
About $60 for the part plus the part mark up. Then about 2 hours labor at shop rate.
- Cable(part+markup) = $100
- Labor(shop rate x hours) = $200
- misc(because they can) =$15
- Total = $315
- Tax (local tax 7%) =$22.05
- Grand Total = $337.05 Shop Estimate
Do it yourself Estimate: Part = $60
Shift Cable Replacement Labor Estimate
Shift Control Cable Assembly, Replace
How to Replace Shift Cable2004-chevy-cavilier-shift-control-cable-replacement
Shift Control Cable Adjustment
- Set the parking brake.
- Remove the console.
- Lift and unlock the cable retainers.
- Push the shifter neutral lock clip. Move the shifter slightly in order to center the lock clip.
- Ensure that the transmission is in neutral.
- Press and lock the cable retainers.
- Pull the shifter neutral lock clip to its original position.
- Install the console.