2008 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS V6 Automatic 6 Speed

2008 Mitsubishi OutlanderI have a 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS V6 Automatic 6 Speed with a 105,000 miles, it has never had its transmission fluid changed is it a good idea to change it now or leave it alone? Will changing the transmission fluid do more harm than good? What would be the best place to have it changed? Mitsubishi Dealer, AAMCO, Firestone, Pepboys? Which type of change is the best Flush, Drain and Fill, Drop pan?

RESPONSE

In my experience it is fine to change the fluid at anytime until it has over 120,000 miles on it. Once it goes past 120,000 miles without ever being changed you are better off not changing it.

Since you are only at 105,000 miles it would be a good idea to go ahead and change it. I recommend doing it yourself or taking to a shop you or a friend has had a good experience at.

The best type of transmission fluid change

Flush, Drain and Fill or Drop Pan?

Any of the three are better than nothing at all. I prefer the drain and fill or drop pan method. Not that he flush isn’t any good, just requires a machine that I do not have. I have used the machine and it does a wonderful job. So the drain and fill or drop the pan? The difference would be that dropping the pan also gives you access to the filter. Changing the filter is a good thing to replace when possible. It generally takes about 5 to 6 qts. for a drain and fill or drop pan. Much less fluid than a complete flush.