Nissan Code P0340 with 05 Altima 3.5l

2005 Nissan AltimaHope everyone is having a great weekend. So I’m having this huge problem with my Altima. Here’s the rundown:

Okay! So I have an 05 Altima 3.5l with 130k miles That was driving BEAUTIFULLY until one day I hit a bump hard in the city then the car stalled. Took it to autozone and code p0340 came up. Replaced the bank 1 and bank 2 cam sensors with cheap chinese sensors (I know) and then had the same problem. Took it to a —-ty mechanic, first tried to tell me the tranny was shot then advised I replace sensors with OEM NISSAN. I bought new genuine oem nissan sensors (bank 1 bank 2 and crankshaft) and had them all installed.. Now mechanic said there was a code for transmission speed sensor. Bought an oem Transmission Speed sensor, had him replace it and said he now thinks transmission is shot because car has little acceleration in drive and clunks in reverse.

This problem happened while I had the p0340 code and would sometimes go away after resetting the negative terminal, then reappear, which leads me to believe the transmission is not bad after all. Im pretty sure the car not accelerating with enough power or going over 2k RPMs is attributed to it being in limp mode, but what the hell do I know?

Any advice?

My first thought since it happened after hitting a bump would be the battery. As a battery wears it leaves deposits in the bottom of the battery and when those deposits build up they short out across the bottom of the lead plates inside. I think that is what happened when you hit the bump, the deposits shifted around enough to short out across the bottom plates. Odds are the battery is a few years old or older anyway. So replacing the battery would be my first thought.

Nissan Code P0340

Camshaft position sensor circuit

Code P0340 Description

The camshaft position sensor senses the retraction with intake valve camshaft to identify a particular cylinder. The camshaft position sensor senses the piston position.

Code P0340 Possible Causes
  • Harness or connectors (the sensor circuit is open or shorted)
  • Camshaft position sensor
  • Camshaft (intake)
  • Starter motor
  • Starting system circuit
  • Dead (weak) battery

Comments are closed.