Sometimes will not turn over, just clicks. Battery is good and relays appear to be working. Has only done this 4 times in the last year and a half but getting more frequent.
First thought, Replace Starter.
In general if you hear one hard click, the starter needs to be replaced. If you hear several clicks repeating(click, click, click, click, click) the Battery is Dead/Weak and may need replaced. If the battery is close to 4 years old or older, replace the battery anyway.
How to Replace the Starter – 2009 Jeep Cherokee 4.7, 5.7
- Disconnect battery ground cable, then raise and support vehicle.
- Then remove heat shield clip and heat shield from starter.
- Next remove the starter motor attaching bolts and nuts.
- Remove solenoid.
- Disconnect all electrical connectors from starter motor and remove starter.
- Reverse procedure to install, noting the following:
a. Torque starter mounting bolts to 30 ft. lbs.
b. Torque starter B+ terminal nut to 108 in. lbs.