No start after replacing fuel pump Chrysler Sebring

1998 Chrysler Sebring

I recently purchased a 1997 Chrysler Sebring convertible with a 2.5l  engine knowing it needed a fuel pump and filter. I replaced that and the engine turns over but will not start. The check engine light doesn’t work and I have found no power coming from the PCM to the speed, crank,or cam sensor. The PCM relay cuts on and the fuses are good. Do I need to replace the PCM?

First thing that comes to my mind is, did you prime the fuel system after replacing the fuel pump and fuel filter? This will cause a crank, no start condition. To do this all you need to do is cycle the ignition key 10 times. Each time waiting 5 seconds while in the ON position.

Did you check for spark at the spark plugs?

How to Replace Fuel Pump

Breeze, Cirrus, Sebring Convertible & Stratus

1. Release fuel system pressure as outlined under Fuel Pressure Relief.

2. Disconnect battery ground cable.

3. Raise and properly support vehicle.

4. Disconnect electrical connector and fuel supply lines from fuel pump module.

5. Properly drain and remove fuel tank.

6. Disconnect fuel filter lines from pump module.

7. Clean top of tank to remove loose dirt and debris.

8. Using fuel pump module ring spanner tool No. 6856, or equivalent, remove lock ring to release pump module.

9. Remove pump module and O-ring. Discard O-ring.

10. Reverse procedure to install, noting the following:

a. Install new O-ring.

b. Using ring spanner tool No. 6856, or equivalent, torque lock ring to 40 ft. lbs.

Fuel System Pressure Test

Fuel system pressure should be released any time a fuel line is to be disconnected.

1. Relieve fuel system pressure as described under Fuel Pressure Relief.

2. Remove fuel supply hose quick connector from chassis lines at engine.

3. Connect fuel pressure gauge tool No. C-4799, or equivalent, to fuel pressure adapter tool No. 6539, or equivalent, then install adapter between fuel supply hose and chassis fuel line assembly.

4. Place ignition switch in On position, engine Off. Using DRB scan tool, access Auto Shutdown (ASD) fuel system test. This test will activate fuel pump and pressurize system. When using ASD fuel system test, Auto Shutdown (ASD) relay remains energized either for seven minutes, until test is stopped, or until ignition switch is turned to Off position.

5. Observe gauge. If reading is 39 psi, further testing is not required. If pressure is at least 5 psi higher than specified, replace fuel filter.

6. If pressure is still above specifications, remove fuel return hose from chassis fuel lines at engine.

7. Attach fuel pressure test connector adapter tool No. 6541, or equivalent, to fuel return hose, then place other end into an approved two gallon gasoline container. If pressure is now correct, check for restricted fuel return line. If no change is observed, replace fuel pressure regulator.

8. If fuel pressure is lower than specified, gently squeeze fuel return hose. If pressure increases, replace pressure regulator.

9. If there is no change in pressure by squeezing fuel return hose, check for a plugged inlet strainer or defective fuel pump.

10. Remove test equipment, then connect fuel lines.

11. Check system for leaks.