2014 LR2 Land Rover turns over but wont start Code P008A, Code P0461, P02066

2014-land-rover-lr2-new.jpg

I have a 2014 LR2 that won’t start. It turns over but won’t crank. My check engine light came on and it kind of felt it was misfiring so I replaced the spark plugs and it cranked, I was able to drive home. The next morning it did the same thing. Battery seems to be good but kind of like not getting fuel. I bought an OBD II scanner and got codes P008A Low fuel pressure, P0461 Fuel Level Sensor A, P2066 Fuel Level Sensor B, and P0026 Intake valve Control Solenoid Circuit. It has gas. Any ideas what this could be, did all the sensors go bad? Maybe bad fuel? I was driving most of the day on deliveries and filled up and used about a 1/2 tank before the issues come up.

The fuel tank may have fuel in it. But the check engine light codes are telling us the electronics involved in monitoring and possibly controlling the fuel are having an issue. A chance that there is a loose air filter intake hose or crack in it.

Is there a test for this?

Yes. A quick test would be to spray starting fluid in the air filter area. If the engine starts then you know for certain the engine was not getting the fuel from the tank delivered into each cylinder.

The Fix

Looking at the different codes for anything common. Looks like wiring, connections and or the fuel pump level sensor. The Sensor is mounted on the side of the fuel pump. My best guess would be a faulty fuel pump assembly. Replacing that should fix the issue assuming the engine wants to run on starting fluid.

Land Rover Code P0800A

Code P0800A Description

Low Pressure Fuel System Pressure – Too Low

Code P0800A Possible Causes

• Fuel level too low
  • Low pressure fuel sensor circuit, short circuit to ground, short circuit to power, open circuit, high resistance
  • Fuel pick up pipe is disconnected from the low pressure fuel pump within the fuel tank
  • Fuel pump driver module failure

Code P0800A Action to be taken

• Check sufficient fuel is available
  • Refer to electrical circuit diagrams to check the low pressure fuel sensor circuit for short circuit to ground, short circuit to power, open circuit, high resistance
  • Refer to the relevant sections of the workshop manual and check the fuel system pipework is correctly installed
  • Check and install a new fuel pump driver module as required

Land Rover Code P0461

Code P0461 Description

Fuel Level Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance

Code P0461 Possible Causes

• Connector is disconnected, connector pin is backed out, connector pin corrosion
  • Fuel level sensor circuit, short circuit to ground, short circuit to power, open circuit, high resistance
  • Fuel level sensor is stuck in a fixed position
  • Possible Fuel level sensor failure

Code P0461 Action to be taken

• Inspect connectors for signs of water ingress, and pins for damage and or corrosion
  • Refer to the electrical circuit wiring diagrams and check fuel level sensor circuit for short circuit to ground, short circuit to power, open circuit, high resistance
  • Check connector is not disconnected, connector pins is not backed out
  • Check fuel level sensor is NOT stuck in a fixed position
  • Clear Check Engine Light Codes and Retest
  • Check and install new fuel level sensor as required

Land Rover Code P2066

Code P2066 Description

Fuel Level Sensor B Circuit Range/Performance

Code P2066 Possible Causes

• Connector is disconnected, connector pin is backed out, connector pin corrosion
  • Fuel level sensor circuit, short circuit to ground, short circuit to power, open circuit, high resistance
  • Fuel level sensor is stuck in a fixed position
  • Possible Fuel level sensor failure

Code P02066 Action to be taken

• Inspect connectors for signs of water ingress, and pins for damage and or corrosion
  • Refer to the electrical circuit wiring diagrams and check fuel level sensor circuit for short circuit to ground, short circuit to power, open circuit, high resistance
  • Check connector is not disconnected, connector pins is not backed out
  • Check fuel level sensor is NOT stuck in a fixed position
  • Clear Check Engine Light Codes and Retest
  • Check and install new fuel level sensor as required