My jeep unlocks with either the remote or if I have the remote on me, when I put my hand in the door handle. Then it locks via remote or by a button on the door handle. The remote is working fine, but the hand in the door handle and button on the door handle have stopped working. They started working intermittently, now not at all. I know it is not a problem with the remote itself as I have gotten new remotes. It has to be something with the jeep itself. Any and all suggestions welcome. Thank you very much – Steve
Typically there will be a Body code stored in the computer when a malfunction such as this occurs. Since this is a Body code it will not cause the Engine code light to illuminate. There are several codes that have symptoms such as you are having with your door locks. With most of the codes the possible causes mention an obstruction in the switch or the actual driver window/door lock switch. The codes require a scan tool to read. I’ll provide a sample code below.
B1800-2A-DRIVER DOOR LOCK/UNLOCK SWITCH – SIGNAL STUCK IN RANGE
When Monitored: Continuously
Set Condition: When the Door Lock/Unlock Switch is stuck for over 30 seconds, this code will set.
OBSTRUCTION IN SWITCH
DRIVER WINDOW/DOOR LOCK SWITCH
1. TEST FOR INTERMITTENT CONDITION
1. With the scan tool, record and erase the DTCs.
2. Operate the Driver Window/Door Lock Switch in lock and unlock positions several times.
3. Cycle the ignition from on to off.
4. Turn the ignition on.
5. With the scan tool, read the active DTCs.
Does the scan tool display; B1800-2A-DRIVER DOOR LOCK/UNLOCK SWITCH – SIGNAL STUCK IN RANGE?
Yes- Go To 2
– Test complete, the condition or conditions that originally set this DTC are not present at this time. Using the wiring diagrams as a guide, check all related splices and connectors for signs of water intrusion, corrosion, pushed out or bent terminals and poor pin fit.
– Perform the BODY VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 – DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Totally Integrated Power (TIPM) – Standard Procedure).