Ford EVAP Drive Cycle Procedure

2018-ford-150

I recently made a repair and had to reset computer. I have driven 585 miles in the last 9 days, 6 of them doing exactly what the owner’s manual suggests for clearing for IM testing. Everything is ready but the EVAP, it is still flashing. Why hasn’t it cycled yet and what can I do. It is 11 days past inspection. My vehicle is a 2018 Ford F150 3.5L ecoboost 31000 miles

The outside air temperature would be the cause If I had to guess the reason it has not cleared yet. Reading the information provided below you can see the EVAP Drive Cycle needs to occur with ambient air temperature between 40 – 100 degrees. If you are in a state with temperatures below 40 then it would have a direct impact.

2018 FORD EVAP DRIVE CYCLE RECOMMENDATIONS

STRICT OBSERVANCE OF POSTED SPEED LIMITS AND ATTENTION TO DRIVING CONDITIONS ARE MANDATORY WHEN PROCEEDING THROUGH THE FOLLOWING DRIVE CYCLES. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS MAY RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY.
  1. Most OBD monitors complete more readily using a steady foot driving style during cruise or acceleration modes. Operating the throttle in a smooth fashion minimizes the time required for monitor completion.
  2. The fuel tank level should be between 1/2 and 3/4 full with 3/4 full being the most desirable.
  3. The EVAP purge flow monitor can operate only during the first 30 minutes of engine operation. When executing the procedure for this monitor, stay in part throttle mode and drive in a smooth fashion to minimize fuel slosh.
  4. The EVAP 0.508 mm (0.020 inch) leak check monitor runs after the ignition is turned OFF. The vehicle must be driven to complete the EVAP purge flow monitor to increase the temperature of the fuel in the fuel tank.
  5. When bypassing the EVAP engine soak times, the PCM must remain powered (ignition ON) after clearing the continuous DTCs and relearning emission diagnostic information.

EVAP Drive Cycle Procedure

Cruise at 77 to 104 km/h (48 to 65 mph) for 10 minutes (avoid sharp turns and hills). NOTE: To initiate the monitor, the throttle should be at part throttle, EVAPDC must be greater than 75%, and FLI must be between 15 and 85%, and for fuel tanks over 25 gallons FLI must be between 30 and 85%.

Purpose of Drive Cycle Procedure

Executes the EVAP purge flow monitor if the ambient air temperature is between 4.4 to 37.8°C (40 to 100°F).

On Board Diagnostic (OBD) Drive Cycle

Description of On Board Diagnostic (OBD) Drive Cycle

The following procedure is designed to execute and complete the OBD monitors. To complete a specific monitor for repair verification, follow steps 1 through 4, then continue with the step described by the appropriate monitor found under the OBD Monitor Exercised column.

Federal OBD requires that all vehicles comply with 0.5 mm (0.020 inch) evaporative emissions (EVAP) system requirements in addition to meeting the 1.0 mm (0.040 inch) EVAP system monitoring requirements. Some vehicles will use the engine off 0.5 mm (0.020 inch) EVAP monitor rather than the 1.0 mm (0.040 inch) EVAP monitor to set I/M Readiness.

For the EVAP system monitor to run, the ambient air temperature must be between 4.4 to 37.8°C (40 to 100°F), and the altitude below 2,438 meters (8,000 feet). If the OBD monitors must be completed in these conditions, the PCM must detect them once (twice on some applications) before the EVAP system monitor can be bypassed and OBD monitors readied. The EVAP Monitor Bypass procedure is described in the following drive cycle.

Use a scan tool to carry out the OBD drive cycle. Refer to the scan tool manufacturer’s instruction manual for each described function.