My Mechanic broke the motor mounts while replacing the drain pan gasket?

Ford Escape

Long story short, I gave my 2008 Ford Escape to my niece. She took it to a Ford dealership for service against my better advice. She asked them to inspect the car for any repairs it might need. Of course, they came up with a laundry list of repairs. They returned the car to her and now it’s running rough. Prior to going for service, the car was idling smoothly. Now, when the car is in park or at a stop, you can feel vibration through the steering wheel and brake. She took it back and now they’re saying the motor mounts need to be replaced. Could the mechanic have broken the motor mounts while replacing the drain pan gasket?

Your Question: Could the mechanic have broken the motor mounts while replacing the drain pan gasket?

Answer: Anything is possible. But the engine mounts do not need to be touched in order to replace the drain pan gasket of the engine. Different story if it was the transmission pan gasket being replaced.

ENGINE OIL PAN GASKET, REPLACE
2.3L ENGINE

1. Drain engine oil into a suitable container.
  2. Remove bolts and righthand splash shield, then the oil level indictor and oil dipstick tube.
  3. Remove four lower engine front cover bolts, then the four oil pan to bell housing bolts, remaining bolts and oil pan.
  4. Reverse procedure to install, noting the following:
    a. Install two rear oil pan bolts and finger tighten.
    b. Install four oil pan to bell housing bolts and tighten to 35 ft. lbs.
    c. Install four lower engine front cover bolts and tighten to 89 inch lbs.
    d. Install remaining oil pan bolts and torque to 18 ft. lbs. in sequence.

3.0L Engine

1. Remove flexible exhaust pipe. Disconnect downstream catalyst monitor sensor.
  2. Drain engine oil into suitable container, install new drain plug gasket and tighten plug to specification.
  3. Remove mounting bolts, then the oil pan.
  4. Reverse procedure to install, noting the following:
    a. Do not use power abrasive discs to clean oil pan sealing surfaces. Only use a plastic scraper to remove gasket material.
    b. Position new gasket on oil pan.
    c. Oil pan must be installed and its bolts tightened within 6 minutes of applying sealant.
    d. Apply a small (.040 inch) diameter dot of Silicone Gasket and Sealer No. F7AZ-19554-EA, or equivalent, to areas indicated, Fig. 3.
    e. Torque oil pan bolts to 18 ft. lbs. in sequence.