Oil leaking around spark plugs 2015 Hyundai Sonata 72,000 miles

2015 Hyundai Sonata

Discovered oil in one of my spark plug wells when changing spark plugs. All online [you tube] suggestions point to valve cover gasket/fuel pump gasket change. I ordered those parts and a torque wrench and have received – am a little scared to do the work myself. I checked spark plug well again to ensure still leaking, as now the engine light is on (as of last night), and, yes, there is still oil and I noticed that the ignition coil for that plug well is “bendy” and twists very loose at each of the twist areas – is that ok (its defintely different than the others, which are more firm)

– could this be part of the initial leak problem? (or the result?) – should I start with replacing that ignition coil and see if that fixes the issue? – should I replace ignition coil and the valve gasket, etc and hope that fixes everything?

Oil Leaking into Spark Plug Hole

The oil is leaking from the valve cover gasket seals. This is quite a common issue. Replacing the valve cover gasket and seals should take care of the oil leaking into and around the spark plug holes. As for the bendy coil over plug “boot”, I think you may be able to order and replace the boot only. I looked up a replacement boot for you that will fit the 2.4L engine. Purchase Boot Kit

Check Engine Light On

As for the check engine light you will need to pull the codes to see why that is coming on. May have nothing to do with the current issue. The fuel pump is in the fuel tank so I am not sure why you are considering replacing it? Just about any local auto parts store will pull the codes for free.

VALVE COVER GASKET R&R

REMOVAL
Use fender covers to avoid damaging painted surfaces.
To avoid damage, unplug wiring connectors carefully while holding connector portion.
Mark all wiring and hoses to avoid misconnection.

1. Disconnect battery ground terminal.
  2. Remove engine cover.
  3. Disconnect wiring connectors and harness clamps and remove connector brackets around cylinder head cover.
  4. Remove air cleaner assembly.
  5. Remove ignition coils.
  6. Disconnect fuel hose (A) and Purge Control Solenoid Valve (PCSV) hose (B).
  7. Loosen vacuum Purge Control Solenoid Valve (PCSV) pipe assembly (A) mounting bolts and nut and then remove high pressure fuel pipe (B).
  8. Remove high pressure fuel pump.
  9. Disconnect Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) hose (A).
  10. Remove cylinder head cover (A).

INSTALLATION

Reverse procedure to install. Note following:

1. Install cylinder head cover.
  2. Hardening sealant located on upper area between timing chain cover and cylinder head should be removed before assembling cylinder head cover.
  3. After applying sealant, it should be assembled within 5 minutes, Fig. 6. Use Bead width: 2.5 mm (.10 inch).
  4. Install cylinder head cover (A) by tightening bolts as following method, Fig. 7. Do not reuse cylinder head cover gasket. Firing and/or blow out test should not be performed within 30 minutes after cylinder head cover was assembled.
  5. First pass torque bolts to 3.9-5.9 Nm. (.4-.6 kgf-m., 2.9-4.3 ft. lbs.), second pass to 7.8-9.8 Nm. (.8-1 kgf-m., 5.8-7.2 ft. lbs.), Fig. 7.