2010 Buick Enclave CXL Bad Alternator

Buick Enclave

Had my vehicle at the same shop 3 times since January. First time “reduced engine power” warning came on shook and died. Did that several times and would not start. They did not know what it was and said hopefully replacing the o2 sensor would fix it. That was over $500 total. 2 months later same thing happened. Again had it towed there and this time they said they didn’t know what it could be because it fired right up every time and test drove with no problems. Picked it up. 1 month later and service battery charging station and battery saver engaged warning come on. Wouldn’t start had to get it jump started. Tried starting same night wouldn’t start and wouldn’t even jump start. Towed back to same shop and they tell me the alternator is junked out and gonna run me at least $899 to start with. Now my question, was it the alternator to begin with? I think it was. The alternator powers the battery correct? And from what I know, which isn’t much, when the voltage is off because the alternator is failing that can throw sensor readings off as well as any of the electrical systems, is that right or did I get that wrong. The shop will not answer me on whether it was the alternator to begin with back in January or how long they figure the alternator has been bad. Since the o2 sensor was a hopeful remedy to the problem they obviously did not know what it was. Thank you

If your alternator goes out you probably wouldn’t make it the next day or two at the most. So I would think this is something unrelated. Would put in a new battery at the same time though and your covered.