’91 Chevy 1500 making noise after using 4WD

Chevy Truck

I drove my new (to me) truck with 4wd for the first time yesterday. It was raining really hard so I didn’t notice the noise driving home. Today I drove it and it is making a bad noise when I’m moving forward. Sounds like something is rubbing. Looking under it, I cannot see anything. It occurred to me it might have something to do with using the 4wd yesterday. So I tried putting it into 4wd and the noise stopped. Put it back into 2wd and the noise continued. What should I do?

Put it in reverse and backup 10 feet. this should disengage the 4wd operation. Make certain you have fully disengaged the 4WD at the shift lever also.

TRANSFER CASE SELECTOR SWITCH REPLACE

T 10-15

1. Disconnect battery ground cable, then remove console and slide shift boot up selector lever.
  2. Disconnect switch harness at indicator assembly, then remove clip and switch, Fig. 1.
  3. Position new switch on mounting bracket and install attaching screw. Ensure shift lever assembly pawl is on switch contact carrier.
  4. Route wiring as shown in Fig. 2.
  5. Install shift boot, console wiring harness and console, then connect battery ground cable.

Leave a Reply