Reversed battery cable ends 2002 Ford Mustang GT

Ford Mustang

I have a 2002 mustang v8. It’s in storage. Today I brought a new battery, and loosely connected the terminals. I tried to start the car, and nothing.
I realized after looking closer, that the terminals were reverse from the original battery, and I had reversed the polarity.
I reconnected the correct way. The car turned over, but wouldn’t fire.
The radio also didn’t work. There was one 20 amp fuse burnt which I replaced in the under-dash fuse box. I found no other fuses burnt anywhere. I looked intently under the hood in the fuse box there, and also checked whatever I could find. I did not find any fuseable links that appeared burnt of fried, and no wires that appeared damaged anywhere.

The car acts like it’s not firing, or not getting gas. I also don’t hear the fuel pump going on when I turn the key on.
Do you have a good idea of specifically what got messed up?
I am hoping there is someone out there that has some experience particularly with a similar car in this situation… say a Ford of the same year, or better yet- a 2002 Mustang.

You fried something for certain. And most likely one of those fusible links. The 20 amp fuse that was burnt may have been your radio issue according to the wiring diagram. You might see if it has spark by spraying some starting fluid in the air filter while cranking the engine over.

Leave a Reply