Chevy Aveo Engine problem

I hired a mechanic to replace the timing belt on a 2005 Chevy Aveo. As he was testing it, the timing belt slipped and caused damage to the valves. A machine shop repaired the valve damage. After putting together the engine the car started making a rattling noise, and the car wouldn’t idle properly. When we raise the RPMs the rattling noise goes away and the engine seems to work fine. We identified the rattle noise coming from the PVC valve area and we changed it. We performed idle relearn. We checked all the hoses for leak, but still no luck. We are getting an error code P2279 air intake leak. The mechanic at this point told me that he is stumped and doesn’t know what to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2 thoughts on “Chevy Aveo Engine problem”

1. in most cases to find any kind of vacuum leak, I spray brake wash or starting fluid around areas with the engine running.

In your case, I would think the valve timing is still off by a least one tooth and this is causing the code P2279 and it is an internal intake leak being caused by the valve being open.

2. we have an 04 Chevy Aveo and we noticed a noise at idle but not while driving. i took it home and to my surprise part of an idler pulley was on the outside of the timing cover. i decided to change the belt and the top pulley, we had to change the back cover and the bottom front cover. it is still making a noise but maybe not as bad as it was. i have yet to drive it or excelorate it due to being afraid that a valve is bent or more. thank you for your site!

Comments are closed.