1986 Ford F-150 5.0 liter

I have a 1986 Ford F-150 5.0 liter V-8 with two fuel tanks. Up until yesterday the truck ran fine with no problems. While I was driving it, the truck started to cut out. I thought it was flooded and let it sit for about 30 minutes, and was then able to drive it home. Today I went to leave my house and the truck ran fine in park, but died when it was put in drive or reverse. I then checked the fuel pump on the outside of the tank and it clicked on normally, and I also changed the fuel filter just in case, although it continued to do the same thing. I have a hard time believing that both of the fuel pumps in the two tanks could go out at the same time, but I can’t think of any other explanation. What else could it be?

1 thought on “1986 Ford F-150 5.0 liter”

1. I have to agree that I do not think that both your in tank pumps are going bad at the same time. But I do think the other fuel pump could still be going out even if you hear it click. A simple fuel pressure test would comfirm this. You should see 40 psi with the key on and engine off and 30 psi at idle.

Comments are closed.