02 chevy cavalier 2.2 sluggish

my chev cavalier has a 2.2 ecotech

a month ago the yellow service icon lit up but i could not find the problem and the car seemed to be running fine. 2 weeks ago the car seemed sluggish and gear changes were rough.(automatic) the engine seemed fine until it got up to 25-30 rpms but had trouble on hills. Now it can only get to 2000 rpms and cannot get high enough for the next gear.

I changed the fuel filter and the service light is now off, but still no power. Anyone been through this? Thanx

2 thoughts on “02 chevy cavalier 2.2 sluggish”

1. The first thing to do is has the codes scanned. Autozone will do this for free.

Then depending on the code, make the needed repairs.

No guessing needed.

2. Thank you for your response Kristen. Later model cars leave me completely in the dark. I managed to drive it to Canadian Tire before i got a response and paid for a scan. Top Speed was 20 kmp and if it had not been a Sunday I would be deaf from the horns and 40% smaller from the glares! Ironicaly, I drove right by an Autozone that I didn’t even know was there. It was a plugged catalytic converter that a relation to a relation and a friend just happened to have on hand. The cost of a scan, a couple of gift cards and a good bottle of CC had me up, running and grateful for my ride.
    Thanks for the help, and I hope I gave enough detail to help someone else.
    I’m glad I signed onto the site.

Glen.

Comments are closed.