Coolant Leak Question

I have a 2002 Buick Regal with a coolant leak.  Two things have been done so far, both of which I believe were needed.

First the lower intake manifold gasket was replaced.  Secondly, at a later date, I had the heater core replaced.

My question relates primarily to the heater core.  There is what I’m calling a drain port (don’t know if that’s the correct name) on the firewall which I believe provides drainage for the heater assembly.

Should I ever see fluid coming out of this port?

Does the port drain the air conditioner as well?  If it does then you would probably get condensation drainage.

I’m trying to narrow down my search for a continued leak.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

4 thoughts on “Coolant Leak Question”

1. There is a drainage port to allow condensation from the air conditioning/defrost works. It can seem as a steady leak at times when it is humid outside. This is normal. Also note, if it is coolant, the fluid leaking will look like the color of coolant in the radiator. Also the coolant level will decrease if there is a leak.

2. Leaks or drips of antifreeze/coolant is why I’m adamant about using Propylene Glycol instead of using the highly toxic ethylene glycol antifreeze/coolant. Besides being non-toxic and non-lethal it is more effective and lasts longer in your vehicle.

3. I have a 2003 buick with 3.8 v6.It was leaking antifreeze/collant a little.Then it seemed to get worse,with coolant covering frame on right side.Looks like it could be comming from top of engine somewhere,and has been for a while.Drove it about five mile put in garage,the smell of coolant.It has run down front of engine,onto frame.Now I can’t make it leak a drop.

4. Hey Danny,

The most common part of the 3.8L engine to leak coolant is the o-rings on the elbow that is right behind the alternator and mounted tot he intake manifold. It is made of plastic and will break when you try to remove it. Any auto parts store will have one on the shelf. The new elbow will come with new o-rings.

A great video for this on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QldgVWRJQJY

Comments are closed.