2010 Toyota Corolla CE 1.8L

Just recently, the first start of the day I get a grinding noise when the car starts. Every start after it is fine. Almost sounds as if you are turning the key when the car is already started. Searched many sites and some people replaced their starter and still had the problem. Could this be anything other than the starter? Wanted to check all options before I replaced the starter.

3 thoughts on “2010 Toyota Corolla CE 1.8L”

1. If the noise is more coming from the engine camshaft area there is a TSB – Technical Service Bulletin:

Camshaft gear noise on start up is a common complaint on some Toyota products.

From T-SB0087-09;

Immediately following a cold soak startup, some 2009 – 2010 model year Corolla and Matrix vehicles may exhibit a brief knock/rattle noise from the engine compartment for approximately one second.

The camshaft gear should be replaced, warranty coverage for 5 years/60,000 miles.

A cold soak is a period of rest after the engine has completely cooled.

The engine oil drains from the variable valve timing actuator cavities in the camshaft gear. During start up the oil cushion is gone from the cam gear and metal to metal contact occurs, a brief knocking noise.

If the noise is coming from the starter: A weak battery can cause this to happen. A weak battery would not allow the starter solenoid to fully extend the starter and can cause the issue. The car being 4 to 5 years old, it is about time to replace the battery anyway.

If this was mine, I would hook up my battery charger that has a 250amp engine start feature and see if it takes care of the issue on first start up of the day. If you have one, by all means try it. Although the most common reason for the grinding noise would be a faulty starter and or damaged teeth on the flywheel. But I would eliminate the battery first as it is about time for it to fail and the starter should last much longer.

Is this an automatic or manual transmission? please keep us all updated on this in the comments below.

2. Good day administrator. Please I have issues with my Toyota corolla car. I had little accident which I have fixed, so am trying start the car, each time I do, it makes the ki-ki-ki sound and then stops. I later found out that the 1st and the 2nd engine plug isn’t producing current…

My Question: is it a timing problem or electrical problem?

Hope to hear from you soon

Kingsley

Comments are closed.