Chrysler pt cruiser

My mother has a pt cruiser that is about 7 or 8 years old and for about the past year or so she has been experiencing a repeat problem with the spark plugs exploding. The first time she took it to the dealership and they fixed it and sent her on her way without an explanation. We didn’t think much of it until it happened again. They fixed it and told her that they weren’t sure why it happened and that maybe the last time they just probably didn’t get the shavings out from retapping. They assured her they got it that time and sent her on her way again only for it to happen again. They continue to fix it and make good on the warranty but she had it almost posted off and after she does she wants to give it to me because frankly I could use a bucket with wheels at this point. I’m not one to look a gift house in the mouth but would love y to know what I’m getting myself into. If this is something that can be fixed I can do it but I don’t have the experience to diagnose problems from the description I have been given. Worst case scenario it’s a problem that is going to cost me to much to fix and so I use it as a trade in but I do like the car and would rather keep something that is paid off rather than get suck making payments on something else that I will end up sinking more money into on top of the payments and insurance etc… please help. Patrick

1 thought on “Chrysler pt cruiser”

1. An odd problem for sure and not a common one but does happen form time to time. Generally this happens form removing the spark plugs from the head when the head is hot. The threads of the spark plug hole are made right into the casting of the head assembly that is made of aluminum. It doesn’t take much at all to cause damage to them. If the spark plug threads are re-tapped and heli-coiled with Steel inserts(properly) they should no longer cause an issue. As long as they are willing to cover the repair under warranty, that is better than a car with no warranty at all.

Comments are closed.