1999 Mitsubishi Galant ES

On the SOHC 2.4L engine I got a PO340 code so I replaced the Camshaft Sensor and I still get the PO340 code .
The car will drive ok until you step on the gas hard, then the engine dies for 4 or 5 seconds and then it accelerates. I’m told that it could be the “CRANKSHAFT sensor effecting it to throw the PO340 code. True or NOT?

Keywords:

1 thought on “1999 Mitsubishi Galant ES”

1. TRUE. When the the crank sensor fails the cam sensor does its best to take over so you are not stuck along side the road.

P0340 Mitsubishi – Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit

Possible causes
    – Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
    – Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
    – Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
    – Faulty starter motor
    – Starting system circuit
    – Dead (Weak) battery

P0340 Mitsubishi Description

The Camshaft Position Sensor is an electronic device used in an engine to record the rate at which the camshaft is spinning. This information is used by the Engine Control Module(ECM) to control ignition and fuel injection. The camshaft position sensor senses the retraction of camshaft (intake) to identify a particular cylinder. The camshaft position sensor senses the piston position. The sensor system consists of a rotating part, typically a disc, as well as a static part, the actual sensor.

When the engine is running, the high and low parts of the teeth cause the gap with the sensor to change. The changing gap causes the magnetic field near the sensor to change. The change in the magnetic field cause the voltage from the sensor to change.

When the crankshaft position sensor (POS) system becomes inoperative, the camshaft position sensor provides various controls of engine parts instead, utilizing timing of cylinder identification signals.

Comments are closed.