Code p0336 Chevy Silverado

2000 Chevy SilveradoI changed oil pan, timing cover and water pump gaskets on my 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 2wd 4.3l v6. Leaked oil. it ran fine before I did this and when I got done it would crank but not start. code p0336 came up, changed the crank sensor still no start, did a battery cable relearn and still no start. I did mess up pulling the balancer and pull the rubber about 1/2 inch off on one side, pressed it back on and it looks fine, but could that cause a no start? so far I’ve changed cap , rotor and wires. tried putting old crank sensor back in and still nothing. keeps giving me a p0336 code. wires and plug on sensor look good. had coil and icm tested, they’re good. don’t know what it could be now other than the balancer. any advice?

RESPONSE

I would lean toward the wiring harness, the connection or the signal plate.

Signal Plate

Code P0336

– Crankshaft Position Sensor ‘A’ Circuit Range/Performance

code P0336Possible causes

• Faulty crankshaft position sensor
  • Crankshaft position sensor wiring harness is open or shorted
  • Crankshaft position sensor circuit poor electrical connection
  • Signal plate may be damaged
  • Starter motor may be faulty
  • Starting system circuit
  • Dead or weak battery

The Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) also known as the crank position sensor is an electronic device used in an engine to record the rate at which the crankshaft is spinning. This information is used by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to control ignition and fuel injection. The sensor system consists of a rotating part, typically a disc, as well as a static part, the actual sensor.

When the engine is running, the high and low parts of the teeth cause the gap with the sensor to change. The changing gap causes the magnetic field near the sensor to change. The change in the magnetic field cause the voltage from the sensor to change.