Cranks but wont start is the crank position sensor a good place to start?
- Check the battery condition, battery state of charge and starter motor current draw. Replace the battery if marginal and the starter motor if the current draw is beyond specification.
- Check the battery cable condition. Clean the battery terminals and replace corroded or damaged cables.
- Check the fuel system for proper operation. A fuel pump with insufficient fuel pressure or clogged injectors should be replaced.
- Check the engine’s tune-up status. Note the tune-up specifications and check for items such as severely worn spark plugs; adjust or replace as needed. On vehicles with manually adjusted valve clearances, check for tight valves and adjust to specification.
- Check for a failed coolant temperature sensor, and replace if out of specification.
- Check the operation of the engine management systems for fuel and ignition; repair or replace failed components as necessary.