Clicks 2005 Chevy Equinox LT

2005 Chevy EquinoxCar has sat in driveway for almost a year due to ignition switch problems. I finally removed the switch and housing off the steering column. The electrical ignition switch is now exposed  allowing me to take a screwdriver and turn it as if it were a key to start the car. However….upon first trying to start it, the battery which I bought 2 weeks prior to the car being parked in the driveway for a year, was bone dead. So I put it on a trickle charge over night. Upon putting it back in the car, turning the ignition to the on position, I have full electrical power….lights work….windows go up and down etc. When trying to START the car, it just “CLICKS” as if the battery was dead. What could the issue be as to why it wont start ?

RESPONSE

The BATTERY. When a battery is run completely dead it may take a trickle charger 2 to 3 days to charge depending upon the amperage at which it is being charged. There is enough juice in the battery to operate the lights and radio but not for the starter.Since the battery isn’t fully charged, the starter just clicks.

For Example: The radio may draw 5 amps and the lights may draw 30 amps, where the starter will draw 200 to 250 amps. Simple put, the starter requires a lot more juice to operate than that of the lights, windows and radio.

The fix would be to fully charge the battery or replace it with a new fully charged battery. Since the battery isn’t that old and money don’t come easy, I would opt for fully charging the battery. Also make sure there is no corrosion on the battery terminals between the terminal and the battery.

2005 Chevy Equinox Battery – Clicks

Your vehicle has a maintenance free battery. When it is time for a new battery, see your dealer/retailer for one that has the replacement number shown on the original battery‘s label.

For battery replacement, see your dealer/retailer or the service manual. To purchase a service manual, see Service Publications Ordering Information .

Warning: Battery posts, terminals, and related accessories contain lead and lead compounds, chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling.

Vehicle Storage

Warning!  Batteries have acid that can burn you and gas that can explode. You can be badly hurt if you are not careful. See Jump Starting for tips on working around a battery without getting hurt.

Infrequent Usage: If you drive your vehicle infrequently, remove the black, negative (-) cable from the battery. This will help keep the battery from running down.

Extended Storage: For extended storage of your vehicle, remove the black, negative (-) cable from the battery or use a battery trickle charger. This will help maintain the charge of the battery over an extended period of time.

You must close all doors and the liftgate before reconnecting the battery. After reconnecting the battery, you must press the unlock button on the keyless access transmitter. Failure to follow this procedure could result in the alarm sounding. Pressing unlock on the keyless access transmitter will stop the alarm.

2005 Chevy Equinox Battery Replacement – Clicks

Removal Procedure

battery cable ends 2005 Chevy Equinox
Disconnect the negative battery cable (1). Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure .

1. Loosen the battery positive cable terminal bolt.
    2. Disconnect the battery positive cable (2) from the battery.

battery clicks replacement 2005 Chevy Equinox
    Warning!  Do not tip the battery over a 45 degree angle or acid could spill causing serious personal injury.

1. Loosen the battery hold down bolt.
    2. Remove the battery from the battery box.

Installation Procedure

Caution!Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

Warning!  Do not tip the battery over a 45 degree angle or acid could spill causing serious personal injury.

1. Install the battery to the battery box.

Tighten
      Tighten the battery hold down bolt to 15 N·m (11 lb ft).

1. Connect the positive battery cable (2) to the battery.

Tighten
        Tighten the positive battery terminal bolt to 17 N·m (13 lb ft).

1. Connect the negative battery cable (1) to the battery. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure .

4 thoughts on “Clicks 2005 Chevy Equinox LT”

1. I thought the same thing, so I had my sister come over with one of those quick just boxes that you use to jump start the car, I hooked it up to the battery, and got the same thing.

If I may add this as a possible cause….

When I had the issue of the ignition locking, I had to have the car flat bedded to my house, the guy who transported the car went under the hood and manually shifted the level in the engine compartment, I am assuming it is the shifter lever, to make it go into neutral so that he could winch the car onto the flatbed, and then into my driveway, I made sure that the level was shift so that is is now in park, atleast thats what the shifter lights inside by the shifter says, that its in park…..but i was wondering if maybe that had something to do with it, you know…the whole neutral safety switch thing????

When i attached the quick boost box to the battery…it did the same exact thing….not really a CLICK from the starter solinoid, but rather when turning the ignition switch, (again with a screwdriver because the key, cylinder and housing have been removed) so I am using a flathead screwdriver to turn the actual ignition SWITCH.

Which leads me to this question….when disconnecting the housing etc, there was the ignition SWITCH, and the device that detects that the key has been turned and allows the shifter to shift out of park etc, also there is a small electrical plug with 3 wires going to one single plug, that plugs into the switch housing….I have no idea what that plug is for, would that possibly cause the car to not start if its not plugged into the housing etc?

Thank you for your help

2. At this point I would look for battery positive at the “S” terminal on the starter while someone holds the key(screwdriver) in the “START” position. If you do not see battery voltage, start tracing back with a meter.

The key sends a signal to the starter relay and then to the starter. If the car is not in neutral or park you will not see power to the relay on the yellow wire. And you will not see power leaving the relay on the purple wire going to the “S” terminal on the starter either. Here is the wiring diagram to help assist you.

2005 Chevy Equinox Starting System Wiring Diagram

3. My 2005 Chevy Equinox key switch won’t turn at all can I drill it out and start it with a screwdriver?

Comments are closed.