Hydraulic Clutch 2002 Chevy Cavalier

2001 Chevy CavilierIt lets me shift from first to second but no other gears. Can I bleed my clutch or do I need a whole new clutch kit?

RESPONSE

If in neutral with the engine off you are able to shift into all gears then you will need to replace the hydraulic clutch assembly and possibly the clutch slave cylinder assembly. If you are still unable to shift into all gears, there is internal transmission damage.

Hydraulic Clutch System Description and Operation

Clutch Spin Down Time

Check the clutch spin down time as follows:
•Apply the parking brake. Block the vehicle wheels.
•Shift the manual transmission into neutral.
•Start the engine. Run the engine at idle speed.
•Engage the clutch.
•Disengage the clutch. Wait 9 seconds.
•Shift the transmission into reverse.

Clutch Driving Members

The clutch driving members are 2 flat surfaces machined to a smooth finish. They are:
•The rear face of the engine flywheel
•The front face of the clutch pressure plate

Clutch Driven Members

The driven member is the clutch driven plate. The clutch driven plate has a splined hub. The splined hub slides lengthwise along the splines of the input shaft. The splined hub drives the input shaft through these same splines. The driving and driven members are held together with a spring pressure. This pressure is exerted by a diaphragm spring in the clutch pressure plate.

Hydraulic Clutch Fluid

Caution! Do not use mineral or paraffin-base oil in the clutch hydraulic system. These fluids may damage the rubber parts in the cylinders.

Hydraulic Clutch Operating Members

The clutch system consists of the following components:
•A master cylinder with a reservoir
•A switch
•An concentric slave cylinder connected to hydraulic tubing
•Pressure Plate
•Clutch Cover
•Diaphragm Springs
•Release Bearing
•Clutch Disc
•Torsional Springs
•With the depression of the clutch pedal, the clutch master cylinder becomes pressurized from the force of the push rod into the master cylinder. This forces hydraulic fluid into the tubing from the master cylinder to the concentric slave cylinder. The concentric slave cylinder then engages by pushing the releasing bearing into the diaphragm spring and release the clutch. A hole in the cowl panel accommodates the master cylinder. A quick connect coupling helps route the hydraulic tubing. the concentric slave cylinder is inside the transmission and on the input bearing retainer. The hydraulic control system can be replaced without having to gain access to the clutch system internal components , simply engage the quick connect coupling mounted through the transmission housing. No adjustments to the clutch system are necessary. as the clutch wears, the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir changes to compensates for clear wear. A new system will have fluid in the reservoir. An electrical switch on the push rod has two functions: One function is a clutch interlock, ensuring the engine does not start unless the clutch pedal is engaged, positioned to the floor. The second function is to cut off the cruise-control system, if equipped, when the clutch pedal is engaged.