I was told the lower manafold intake gasket is in need of replacement, they also…
How do I re-install the pulley on the harmonic balancer?
First of all on this engine the pulley is part of the balancer. They are meant to be one unit. There is a rubber insert between the pulley and the outside of the balancer. As a result there is no way to re-install the outside pulley once it comes apart as it is a balanced unit. In conclusion a new replacement should be used if damage is found on the harmonic balancer.
Replace Harmonic Balancer
The inertial weight section of the crankshaft balancer is assembled to the hub with a rubber type material. Therefore the correct installation procedures (with the proper tool) must be followed or movement of the inertial weight section of the hub will destroy the tuning of the crankshaft balancer.
- Remove the drive belt.
- Raise and suitably support the vehicle.
- Remove the right front tire and wheel.
- Take off the right engine splash shield.
- Remove the crankshaft balancer bolt and the washer.
- Remove the crankshaft balancer. Use a Balancer Puller.
- Apply sealant to the keyway of the balancer, this is especially relevant. Use sealant GM P/N 12345739 or equivalent.
- Install the crankshaft balancer. Use the J 29113/66515 .
- Remove the J 29112/66515.
Caution!First of all use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. In addition the fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener too. Most of all use the correct tightening sequence and specifications while installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
- Install the crankshaft balancer washer and the bolt.
Tighten the crankshaft balancer bolt to 103 N·m (76 lb ft).
- Install the right engine splash shield.
- Install the right front tire and wheel.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Install the drive belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement.