No Start 2012 GWM Steed 2.5

2012 GWM Steedhi i have a GWM steed year 2012 with 2.5 engine capacity. My problem is that the car won’t start. When I turn the key to on position, the engine light and the red “EBD” light both turns on. The EBD light turns off after a while but the engine light stays on.The engine turns over but does not start.

I tried running a scanner on the GWM Steed but there was no fault code detected. It is a petrol engine, not a diesel engine.

Please do help

RESPONSE

Here is a wonderful step by step chart to help you diagnose the reason for your no start.

2012 GWM Steed No Start Diagnostic Checks

First Steps

1st check for spark by removing one of the spark plugs and plug it back into its lead and rest it on the metal of the engine ( DO NOT hold it on place by hand) then have your assistant turn the engine over whilst you watch the plug. It should give a fat blue spark at regular intervals.

If not then check that there’s power to the coil pack (at the other end of the plug lead) using a meter. Also if there’s 12V at the pack but no spark then check the ECU power supply (fuse and relay) and also the connections to the crankshaft speed sensor.

If there is a spark and its still not starting then its likely that the ECU isn’t opening the fuel injectors, if the injectors are working you can hear them click – its difficult to hear them with background noise so use a long screwdriver like a stethoscope, placing the handle end in your ear and the metal tip against the body of the injector whilst your assistant turns the engine over.

Second Steps

If you can’t hear anything check the ECU power is present by measuring voltage at the fuse box and on its relay socket if OK then check the connections to the crank speed sensor and consider replacing this sensor if the wiring / connections look OK

If the car will start using a squirt of quick/ easy start into the intake then this confirms the problem is lack of fuel

Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the injectors is working correctly. It should run for a few seconds then switch off. This is when you first turn the ignition on. If you remove the filler cap to the fuel tank and listen inside while your assistant flicks the ignition you should hear it clearly

If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright. Replace the relay if in any doubt. And do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V.

You should be getting around 3 bar measured at the injector rail. Check to see if the plugs are getting wet indicating fuel is flowing. If not and the injectors are opening then there’s a problem with the pump. Or a problem with the filter or even the pressure regulator.

Could also be incorrect fueling due to a faulty water temp sensor. If this is the problem then the ECU will never add the ‘cold start’ extra fuel required if the car starts OK when warm then I ‘d look into changing the sensor.

Source: JustAnswer

1 thought on “No Start 2012 GWM Steed 2.5”

Comments are closed.