Battery fail indicator 2003 Dodge Intrepid

2003 Dodge IntrepidWhile driving Battery fail indicator lit up. I came home and parked the car. Now the car will not start. It cranks but won’t start. I have tried jumping still no luck.
I have checked all fuses and they are all good. Would the crankshaft sensor cause this problem? If it failed while driving would it turn the engine off?

RESPONSE

A crankshaft sensor failure would not illuminate the battery light.

Battery Fail Indicator

The battery light is a NO CHARGE indicator. This means the battery is no longer getting charged. This is most commonly due to an alternator failure. But may also be in the form of an internal short in the battery.

Most likely the battery is shot along with the alternator. Once the battery light comes on the engine is running completely off the battery which adds a strain to it and reduces its life span. When the PCM doesn’t have sufficient voltage it will not start the engine. Replacing the battery and alternator should take care of the issue.

Charging System

The charging system is turned on when the engine is started. The Generator field is control by the PCM using a 12-volt high-side driver and a body ground circuit. The Generator output voltage is determined by the PCM. When more system voltage is needed, the PCM applies a longer duty cycle using the 12-volt high-side drive and shortens duty cycle or none at all when less voltage is needed.