transmission wont shift into 3rd goes into like a neutral until i slow down or shift to l1
Sounds like the transmission fluid level is low or there is internal damage. Check the fluid level first and note the color. If the level is low top it off and retest. If the fluid level is full and looks burnt or dark, this is a sign of internal clutches being burnt. Clear or clean looking fluid would indicate and internal electrical component failure.
Transmission Shift Linkage Adjustments
- With the engine stopped, place the transmission selector lever at the steering column in the D position for the C6 or the D overdrive position for the AOD and E4OD, and hold the lever against the stop by hanging an 8 lb. weight from the lever handle.
- Loosen the shift rod adjusting nut at the transmission lever.
- Shift the manual lever at the transmission to the D position, two detents from the rear. On the F-150 with 4WD and Bronco, move the bell crank lever.
- With the selector lever and transmission manual lever in the D or D overdrive position, tighten the adjusting nut to 12–18 ft. lbs. (16–24 Nm). Do not allow the rod or shift lever to move while tightening the nut. Remove the weight.
- Check the operation of the shift linkage.
- With the engine stopped, place the transmission selector lever at the steering column in the D position for the C6 or the D overdrive position for the AODE-W, 4R70W and E4OD.
- Hang a 3 lb. (1.4 kg) weight on the end of the shift lever.
- Pry the end of the shift cable from the transmission control lever ball stud.
- Unlock the adjuster body, release the lock tab on the top side of the cable by pushing down on the 2 tangs.
- Check to be sure the cable moves freely without binding.
- Move the lever on the transmission all the way rearward and then 3 detent positions forward.
- Holding the cable end fitting, push the cable rearward until the end fitting lines up with the manual control lever ball stud.
- Push up on the lock tab to lock the adjuster body in the correctly adjusted position. Be sure the locator tab is properly seated in the bracket.
- Make certain the shift cable is clipped to the floor pan at the white cable mark and the cable is routed into the tunnel.
- Adjust the shift indicator pointer while the transmission is still in the overdrive position.
- Remove the weight and check the control lever in all shift positions.