High RPM 2004 Nissan Maxima

2004 Nissan MaximaI just bought a 2004 Nissan Maxima and I’m having problems with the rpm’s running high. When I hit the brake the rpm’s go up a few hundred and then will come back down and when this happens I can feel the jump in acceleration. Also because the rpm’s run high, when u go to shift into another gear without letting the rpm’s come down, it will shift hard making it feel like my transmission is hitting hard. Anyone know what could be causing this???

RESPONSE

High RPM

What you have described is a perfect description of a vacuum leak. if any work has recently been done on the vehicle you may need to perform an Idle Air Volume Re-Learn.

Idle Air Volume Relearning Procedure

Without Scan Tool

To Perform:

NOTE: Use a clock to measure the time during the following procedure.
1.Verify the following operating conditions exist; ◦Battery voltage is more than 12.9V at idle
◦Engine coolant temperature is 158� – 212�F (70� – 100�C)
◦PNP switch is ON
◦Electric load switch is OFF (all loads off)
◦Steering wheel is straight ahead
◦Vehicle is stopped and transmission is at normal temperature

NOTE: If equipped with DRL, apply parking brake before starting engine to turn off DRLs.

2.Perform Accelerator pedal released position learn procedure.
3.Perform Throttle valve closed position learn procedure.
4.Run the engine to normal operating temperature.
5.Turn the ignition switch OFF for at least 10 seconds.
6.Verify the accelerator pedal is fully released and turn the ignition switch ON for 3 seconds.
7.Press and release the accelerator pedal 5 times within 5 seconds.
8.Wait 7 seconds and then press and hold the pedal to the floor for 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and stays ON.
9.Release the pedal within 3 seconds from the time the MIL turns ON.
10.Start the engine and allow it to idle.
11.Wait 20 seconds.
12.Rev the engine a couple of times and verify correct idle speed and ignition timing; ◦Idle speed: 650+/-50 rpm
◦Ignition timing: 15�+/-5�