The parking brake will not release, pedal stuck. It worked for hours, but could not get it. I did not want to do too much without guide. any tips ? thanks
The Parking brake system consists of the a brake lever, two cables, adjuster and brake shoes. In order to determine if the lever itself is at fault disconnect the cable and test.
Park Brake Lubrication
Clean and lubricate the park brake lever assembly using Lubriplate GM P/N 1050109 or the equivalent.
Plastic coated parking brake cables do not need periodic lubrication. However, before performing service that involves the adjuster, perform the following steps:
•Clean the exposed threads on each side of the nut.
Important Lubricate the threads of the adjusting rod before turning the nut
•Lubricate the threads of the adjusting rod using Lubriplate GM P/N 1050109 or the equivalent.
Parking Brake Lever Replacement1999-gmc-jimmy-parking-brake-lever-replacement
For complete step by step instructions get an auto repair manual today.
Parking Brake Shoe Adjustment
The park brake must be adjusted any time the park brake cables have been replaced or disconnected, if the park brake shoes have been replaced or if under heavy foot pressure the pedal travel is less than half the pedal total travel. Before adjusting the park brake, check the condition of the service brakes.
- Raise the vehicle and support the vehicle with safety stands.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Take off the caliper and the rotor.
- Remove the park brake cable from the park brake lever.
- Adjust the shoe diameter using the adjuster nut.
- Turn the adjuster nut clockwise to increase the diameter until the rear wheel will not rotate without excessive force in a forward direction.
- Connect the park brake cable to the park brake lever.
- Install the caliper and the rotor.
- Install the wheel and the tire.
- Adjust the rear park brake cables.
- Install the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the safety stands and lower the vehicle.