How do I unlock and remove the ignition lock cylinder if the key won't turn…
When I put key in ignition, key wont turn. Its like frozen, plenty of juice. Might be ignition switch? The key goes in and makes the sound activate but will not turn either way.
Key Wont Turn
- Try wiggling the steering wheel while trying to turn the ignition key
- If you have an additional key, try it
You may have to replace the ignition lock cylinder.
Key Lock Cylinder Replacement
- Disconnect negative cable from battery.
- Remove steering column cover retaining screws.
- Remove screws holding steering column shrouds and remove lower shroud.
- Place key cylinder in RUN position. Depress lock cylinder retaining tab on the bottom of the lock housing and remove key cylinder.
1.Install key in lock cylinder. Turn key to run position (retaining tab on lock cylinder can be depressed).
2.The shaft at the end of the lock cylinder aligns with the socket in the end of the housing. To align the socket with the lock cylinder, ensure the socket is in the Run position (Socket in Lock Cylinder Housing) .
1 – LOCK CYLINDER HOUSING
2 – SOCKET
3.Align the lock cylinder with the grooves in the housing. Slide the lock cylinder into the housing until the tab sticks through the opening in the housing.
4.Turn the key to the Off position. Remove the key.
5.Install lower steering column shroud.
6.Install steering column cover.
7.Connect negative cable to battery.