A/C stopped working 2003 Ford Taurus

2003 Ford Tarus

A/C stopped working

My Taurus’ A/C stopped working, and there is a grinding noise under the hood whether the A/C is on or off. If it were a damaged A/C compressor, wouldn’t the noise only be there when the A/C is turned on? What else could it be?

This sounds like a classic description of a failed air conditioning compressor clutch. Your engine has one Serpentine Drive Belt that runs all the accessories including the air conditioning.

What does that mean?

The belt wraps around and spins all the components on the front of the engine including the air conditioning compressor. Even when the compressor is not engaged(turned on) the outer portion of the clutch is still being rotated. When the clutch bearing goes out it causes a noise when rotating.

Air Conditioning Compressor

How can I check the air conditioning compressor myself?

Since we know the belt has to be spinning we can remove it. Remove the belt and start the engine. Only allow the engine to run long enough to confirm the noise is no longer heard.

Serpentine Belt Removal and Installation

• Using a commercially available serpentine belt tool such as OTC 7644 or equivalent, rotate the accessory drive belt tensioner clockwise and remove the accessory drive belt.

serpentine belt 2003 Ford Taurus image

• To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Serpentine Belt Tool Kit

serpentine belt tool kit

• Serpentine Belt Tool Kit Designed to assist with the removal and installation of serpentine belts
  • Applications include, but not limited to Ford, GM, Chrysler, SAAB, VW and Volvo
  • Includes long rubberized handle and seven shallow 18mm, 16mm, 15mm, 14mm, 13mm, 1/2″ 3/8″ sockets

Shop Automotive