Power steering 2004 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Infiniti G35

I have a power steering issue where the fluid level drops dramatically once car has been driven for 40-45 minutes (to the point the reservoir is almost empty). The strange part is the fluid returns to the reservoir over a short period of time after shutting engine down. No visible leaks on the system. Possible air being sucked in? I’ve checked and don’t see a lot of bubbling or froth in the system when this happens. I’ve bled the systems several times.

Power Steering Fluid Level

The power steering system holds 1.15 quarts of Nissan Power Steering fluid or equivalent.

The fluid level should be checked with the engine off. Check for generation of air bubbles and cloud in fluid. When none are found, you are good. If bubbles or cloud are noticed then the system needs to be bled.

If air bubbles and cloud don’t fade, stop engine, hold air bleeding until air bubbles and cloud fade. Then bleed again until no air bubbles return. Each time holding until the bubbles fade.

Air Bleeding Power Steering System

1. Stop engine, and then turn steering wheel fully to the right and left several times.
  2. Run engine at idle speed. Turn steering wheel fully to the right and then fully to the left, and keep for about three seconds. Then check whether any fluid leakage occurred.
  3. Repeat several times at about three second intervals.
  4. Check for bubble generation or cloud in fluid.
  5. If air bubbles and the cloud don’t fade, stop engine, hold off on air bleeding until air bubbles fade. Perform the 2nd and 3rd procedures again.
  6. Stop engine, check fluid level.