Stalls and dies Chrysler Town and Country

1999 Chrysler town and country

Stalls and dies

I have a 1999 Chrysler Town and Country lxi 3.8 engine. Every now and then when I come to a stop or slow down to turn my van stalls and dies. But when put in park or neutral it starts right back up with no problem. When I go to pull it into gear it stalls real quick and dies after several attempts it finally goes.

First thing to do would be to have the check engine light codes scanned. Any code stored may assist in directing you in the right direction. Post any code found below in the comments for further assistance.

Some possibilities if no codes are present may be but not limited to:

• Dirty throttle body needs cleaned
  • Sticking or faulty IAC – Idle Air Control
  • Faulty TPS – Throttle Position Sensor
  • Faulty MAP – Manifold Absolute Prsseure Sensor
  • Vacuum leak

Engine Idle Speed

The TCM uses direct engine idle speed input and calculated engine idle speed (or target idle speed) input from the PCM over the CCD Bus. Target idle speed is compared against actual engine speed to determine the learned Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) value for closed-throttle idle.

Throttle Position Sensor

The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is used by the TCM to help determine shift points and shift quality. Additionally, the TPS output is spliced to the PCM for fuel control. The PCM provides a 5 volt supply and ground for the sensor. Target idle speed is compared against actual engine speed to determine the learned TPS value for closed throttle idle. This is done to correct for differences in system voltage and sensor tolerances.

If the TCM detects a faulty TPS signal, it provides continued operation of the transaxle by using the TPS value sent over the communications bus by the PCM.