2007 Toyota Rav 4 hub bearing noise

2007 Toyota Rav 4

We changed the wheel hub assembly because we expected a low humming noise to be a bad wheel bearing. After changing it, we drove home about 30 miles. The noise was still there and by the time we got home it was louder than ever. And I was scared to drive over 15 mph. I jacked the tire up (passenger rear) and tire was wiggling as if it had a bad wheel bearing. The funny thing is the tire didn’t even wiggle before we changed the Hub assembly. So I am guessing maybe the cv shaft nut wasn’t tightened enough, I don’t know. And if it wasn’t tightened enough or came loose driving could it have damaged the wheel bearing in the hub assembly?

Does it sound like it wasn’t correctly tightened? Also, when I removed the tire and was wiggling the hub it wasn’t tight trying to rock it back and forth. But there was a little play when pushing and pulling it in and out.

Hub bearing noise

Sounds like you shouldn’t have driven it home. But instead circled the block and made the shop aware that the noise was still there. They may have been able to save the part and you some time. At this point you are going to need to take it back(30 miles). And I hope you got a good warranty because you are about to use it.

The shop that performed the repair will take a close look and be able to tell if the new part simply failed or if it was incorrectly installed. Either way, it should not be loose nor would it come loose on its own.