Fuel pump flow control module 2009 Pontiac G6 3.5l GT

Pontiac G6

I had to replace the whole fuel pump assembly several months ago. Since then I’ve had problems with the car dying. Next there is really no pattern as to when it dies. I have had it do it at 80 mph and at idle, even during start up. It does seem to do it more frequently at higher temperatures. Been thinking its the ECM, but would it be more likely if it were the fuel pump flow control module?

Where is the fuel pump flow control module located on the vehicle? and how do I test it to check if its malfunctioning?

First I am looking for what you are referring to as a flow control module. This vehicle has what is called a Fuel Pressure Regulator. This regulates the flow of fuel to the fuel injectors. The regulated fuel pressure can be tested. It is built into the same assembly as the fuel pump. Could be a loose of bad electrical connection of faulty replacement fuel pump assembly. Finally start there first since this is what was worked on last.

Fuel Pressure Regulator

The fuel pressure regulator is a diaphragm operated relief valve. The fuel pump is on one side of the regulator and the regulator spring pressure is on the other side. The function of the fuel pressure regulator is to maintain a constant fuel pressure under all of the operating conditions. The pressure regulator DOES NOT compensate for engine load by increasing the fuel pressure as the engine intake manifold vacuum drops. The vent on the fuel pressure regulator is an atmospheric vent only.

Fuel Pressure Regulator Location

The fuel pressure regulator is mounted on the fuel sender assembly.

Fuel Pressure Testing

• Connect a fuel pressure gauge
  • Turn ignition on with engine off
  • Pressure should be between 56 – 62 if working properly
Fuel Pump Replacement 2008 Pontiac G6