I’ve got a water pump that needs replaced…can it be done by myself or is it best to take it to a mechanic?
According to the Labor Time Guide this is a 6 hour long procedure for an experienced mechanic. Noting that and the fact that you asked in the first place, Yes, take it to a mechanic. This is probably not the project you want to start learning on. Also the water pump is driven by the timing belt.
How to replace the water pump 2015 VW Jetta 1.8
Coolant Pump, Removing and Installing
- Drip Tray VAG1306 or Shop Crane – Drip Tray VAS6208
- Torque Wrench 1331 5-50Nm VAG1331
- Hose Clip Pliers
This procedure contains mandatory replaceable parts.
Mandatory Replacement Parts
- O-ring – Coolant Pump to Cylinder Block
- Replace the gaskets and seals.
- The lower toothed belt guard can remain installed.
- The toothed belt remains in position on the crankshaft sprocket.
- Cover the toothed belt with a cloth to protect it from coolant before removing the coolant pump.
►Drain the coolant.
►Remove the ribbed belt.
►Remove the ribbed belt tensioning damper.
►Remove the upper and center toothed belt guards.
►Remove toothed belt from coolant pump toothed belt sprocket.
►Remove the bolt 1 from the rear toothed belt guard 2.
►Remove the bolts 5 for the coolant pump and then remove the coolant pump 4.
Install in reverse order of removal. Pay attention to the following:
►Coat the new O-ring 3 with coolant.
►Insert the coolant pump 4.
Installed position: Sealing plug in housing points downward.
►Tighten the bolts 5.
►Install the bolt 1 for the rear toothed belt guard 2 on the cylinder head.
►Install the toothed belt.
►Install the ribbed belt tensioning element.
►Install the ribbed belt.
►Fill with coolant.