I was giving gas but wasn’t speeding up 2001 Chevy Tahoe

1999 Chevy Tahoe

I was giving gas but wasn’t speeding up

2001 Chevy Tahoe 4×4, have never had any symptoms of transmission issue, slipping, dummy light, etc. before. I hit a raccoon last week. Think impact was more on passenger side of undercarriage. Approximately 1-2 miles after hitting raccoon, I noticed I was giving gas but wasn’t speeding up so,I let off gas and everything seemed to be okay intel I would give gas to speed up. I could hear engine accelerate but transmission didn’t seem to be engaging, so I I let off gas drove about half mile pulled over to check, put in reverse u could hear engine accelerate but no movement, so put back in park shut off to wait for hubby. After about 5 min decided to turn back on put it in gear functioned normally for short distance but then same issue again, engine accelerate but no’s shift, (a mile at most )shut off again waited approximately 5 minutes turned on fine then same issue., so pulled over waited for hubby to come get.

No dash lights ever came on, no burning smell from engine or transmission to indicate getting hot during all this.

No previous warning signs

No previous warning signs to indicate transmission problems ever before this incident, hubby added transmission fluid assuming cause was low fluid ended up not being low so we had to drain back out. Fuses seem to be good. Took pan off didn’t see any shavings or anything. Don’t think burnt out trans because like I said never got hot or anything before or after this incident. I feel has to be related to raccoon accident because I know I didn’t drive more than 2 miles when it started having problems and never had any issues before.

Is there something underneath, plug sensor, etc that could have gotten broken knocked loose from Impact of raccoon.

The transmission cooling lines/hoses are on the passenger side. They may have been bent or kinked and no longer allowing the fluid to flow. This would cause an issue. That would be the first thing to look at and consider as you have already ruled out the possibility of transmission fluid level low.

How to Replace Lower Transmission Cooling Hose

Keywords: