Squeal noise when start engine 2004 Toyota Tacoma – Base, 5-speed, 2.4L

Toyota Tacoma

I replaced the fan clutch this past January because it would squeal really bad for a short while when starting the engine. Now it’s doing it again. Will pulling it apart and adding silicone oil likely fix it, or did I just get a poor after market part, and I need to replace it again?  If you own a Tacoma, I highly suggest visiting the Tacoma Beast website for all your replacement parts needs!

Basically, my question is can being low on silicon oil cause a fan clutch to squeal? In which case it may be worth trying adding more oil before replacing again.

In most cases the squealing noise is coming from failing serpentine belt. I created the video below to help assist in such an occasion. If you are certain the fan is at fault it doesn’t cost you anything but time to try something before replacing a part. But in my experience if there is a leak, unless you fix the leak, it will still leak.

How to Check your squealing belt

How to Replace Clutch Fan

Removal & Installation

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Remove the engine undercover.
  4. Drain the cooling system.
  5. Remove the 2 bolts and the air pipe, as necessary.
  6. Remove the upper radiator hose from the radiator.
  7. Remove the oil dipstick guide, by removing the bolt.
  8. Remove the power steering drive belt, by loosening the lock bolt and adjusting bolt to the idler pulley, if equipped with power steering.
  9. Remove the No. 2 fan shroud, by removing the 2 clips.
  10. Remove the No. 1 fan shroud, by removing the 4 bolts.
  11. Loosen the idler pulley nut and adjusting bolt and remove the air conditioning drive belt, if equipped with air conditioning.
  12. Remove the alternator drive belt, fan (with fan clutch), water pump pulley and the fan shroud.

◦Stretch the belt and loosen the water pump pulley mounting nuts.

◦Loosen the lock, pivot and the adjusting bolts for the alternator.

◦Remove the alternator drive belt.

◦Remove the 4 water pump pulley mounting nuts.

◦Remove the fan (with fan clutch) and the water pump pulley.

To install:

1. Installation is the reverse of removal.
  2. Tighten the fan nuts to 16 ft. lbs. (21 Nm).
  3. Fill and bleed the cooling system.
  4. Start the engine and check for leaks.

1 thought on “Squeal noise when start engine 2004 Toyota Tacoma – Base, 5-speed, 2.4L”

1. Thanks, kind of what I was thinking. I can tell it’s the fan clutch. All the belts are new, and i can hear when the clutch starts to take grip (slight delay after starting) then squeaks (loud) for a while, then stops after fan is up to speed.

I’ll just buy a better (more expensive) fan clutch, and not go for another lowest price option.

Thanks for the inputs.

Comments are closed.