Engine Oil and Filter Change 2003 PT Cruiser

2003 Chrysler Pt Cruiser

I had an oil change the other day. Parked my car in the garage as usual, went to work the next day and there was a huge pool of oil on the garage floor. ( garage floor is stain free – did not have a leak prior to the oil change) I took my car back to the location and was told they think I have a problem with my valve cover gasket. Why wouldn’t my car have leaked any oil PRIOR to the oil change ???

One, they made it up to cover their a$$. Two, they loosened the valve cover bolts so that it would leak(not likely as most people are lazy by nature). Three, they made it up to cover their a$$. Four, happened to be a coincidence. Five, they made it up to cover their a$$.

Most likely the mechanic was in a hurry and didn’t clean up or properly install the filter or drain plug. It happens. Sometimes the oil filter gasket is left from the old filter and the new filter installed over it. This can create a leak. None of which would be done on purpose but easily overlooked. The most important thing would be that the engine oil still showed on the dipstick so as no internal engine damage would occur.

About the only way to prevent this from happening would be to learn to change your own oil. As this might not be for everyone, it is still an option for the future. I would also recommend going to a different shop the next time you chose to pay someone to change your oil.

How to change the oil

Engine Oil & Filter, Replace 2003 PT Cruiser

Warning: New or used engine oil can be irritating to the skin. Avoid prolonged or repeated skin contact with engine oil. Contaminants in used engine oil, caused by internal combustion, can be hazardous to your health. Thoroughly wash exposed skin with soap and water. Do not wash skin with gasoline, diesel fuel, thinner, or solvents, health problems can result. Do not pollute, dispose of used engine oil properly. Contact your dealer or government agency for location of collection center in your area.
1.Run engine until achieving normal operating temperature.
2.Position vehicle on a level surface and turn engine off.
3.Remove oil fill cap.
4.Raise and support vehicle on a suitable hoist.
5.Place a suitable oil collecting container under oil pan drain plug (2), Fig. 1.
6.Remove oil pan drain plug (2) and allow oil to drain into suitable collecting container. Inspect drain plug threads for stretching or other damage. Replace drain plug and gasket if damaged, Fig. 1.
7.Remove oil filter (1), Fig. 1.
8.Install oil pan drain plug (2), and torque drain plug to 20 ft. lbs., Fig. 1.
9.Install new oil filter.
10.Lower vehicle and fill crankcase with specified type and amount of engine oil.
11.Install oil fill cap.
12.Start engine and inspect for leaks.
13.Stop engine and verify oil level, adjust as required.

2003-chrysler-pt-cruiser-oil-filter-location-diagram