Randomly shuts down for a few seconds 1997 Chevy Silverado 5.7L

Chevy Silverado 1500

Really odd problem. Sometimes this happens twice in 50 miles, other times it won’t do it for hundreds of miles. The problem is, randomly while driving along, the vehicle will lose power and the engine will die for a few seconds, then will start back up for a few seconds. This die/restart process will consistently happen 3 times within a few seconds, and on the third time it will return to normal operation, until this process repeats itself at some point in the future. It’s very odd that it always happens in groups of 3. Also, each time this happens, the tranny will reset, causing it to shift EXTREMELY hard until it relearns… Like literally “whiplash” hard.

Any ideas?
Thanks

A loose electrical connection would be my first guess. Pop the hood and crawl up under there. Look for any connections that look loose or corroded. Don’t be afraid to grab a hold of a few wires and giggle. Look at the wiring harnesses for brittle coatings.  The reason I for my thoughts are based on you mentioning the transmission resets itself. This usually happens when the computer looses all power.