Is it worth buying a cheaper car with high mileage

2003 Acura TL S-Type

Hey I am just hoping for your opinion on buying a car. I am looking at an 2003 Acura TL Type S but it has over 300 000km on it. The body is in outstanding shape and there aren’t any known mechanical issues with it. The lower price allows me to compensate for future mechanical problems. Is it worth buying a cheaper car with high mileage if I have some budget for future problems?

Is it worth buying a cheaper car with high mileage

Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself that it is a good idea.

Like any product you buy, it is only as good as its warranty. So a car with high miles or low miles is going to require maintenance. Generally vehicles have around 15K miles(24140km) put on them each year. This 2003 Acura has below average miles on it for its age. This is good. So the things to look at would be the maintenance records if available. Not so much about brake pads and air filters as these are going to need done on even new vehicles. But thinking more about how often the engine was tuned up, oil changed and transmission serviced. I would also be concerned with the suspension, wheel bearings and steering components.

So thinking about it in terms of of money, buying a cheaper car knowing you are going to have future costs makes it about the same as buying a newer one(unless you do your own repairs). Only you will spend less time going to the shop or working on the newer one with less mileage(wear and tear). And since it is older you are going to have more money in an older vehicle that carries a lesser value in the end.

So with that said, unless you are in love with that make and model and year vehicle, Buy a newer vehicle with less miles and spend less time working on it and more time driving it.

Just my Opinion,